Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Does anyone know how an experienced software engineer can secure employment with the United Nations?

I am currently working as a software engineer for a major telecom company in the Midwest and I'm doing great. However, ever since I was a kid, I have wanted to work for the UN or a similar agency. It may not perfect considering the recent reform ideas being floated, but it's the closest thing we have to a worldwide organization that works for progress in all parts of the world.



Does anyone have guidance for how I can get into the UN in the next 3 to 5 years? Eventually I would like to do something with international public policy or international finance for development projects. I am willing to consider all options including public policy graduate school and business graduate school. I have taken a practice GMAT and scored in the 90+ percentile. Paying for the tuition would not be an issue and I don't mind taking a pay cut now, but eventually I would like to make a decent income to support a family in NYC.



Any specific or general advice would be highly appreciated. Thank you.